Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Assess Yourself

Define RISK










According to dictionary.com



I guess you could say that I’m a “Risk Taker.”  Actually I feel that I definitely am a Risk Taker, though I don’t feel that I like, let alone enjoy, taking risks.  When it comes to taking risks, just thinking about it, I feel terrified, and scared.  But thinking deeper,

|
|
|
|
|
|
V

I enjoy the THRILLThe moment.  Being in the action. 
As I am taking the risk, my heart is pounding and my blood is flowing.  I don’t know what will what happen, but just knowing that I’m doing it is exciting.  All I can think about is children as risk takers.  Children are the best examples.  They take so many risks, and you can see their excitement while in action.  Children are constantly taking risks; they do things not knowing what will happen in the end.  But the satisfaction, yes the satisfaction is what puts me at ease.  Being able to say, “Hey at least I did it,” is a satisfying phrase to say.  I’m satisfied that I took the risk, whether good or bad.

As I think 
  Risks aren’t possible without a vision, a determination, a goal, a dream.   





I have dreams everyday.
I dream of holding a bachelors diploma
I vision my husband and I getting sealed in the temple (I’m Mormon)
I dream of my daughter’s brain to be filled more then my brain is,
I vision myself owning a lifted Tacoma,
  I dream of traveling the world
I vision myself having five children
I vision myself being a teacher to children that would grow up and say, “Hey aunty I remember in Preschool,” 
I dream of owning a preschool that looks like a home and it has a big yard to play in, 
I dream of managing my preschool,
I vision myself being the teacher of my friends children, 
and I vision myself growing old and still caring and teaching children. 

I have so many dreams ahead of myself, and I have in procession so many things.  I am satisfied with what I have and I am forever grateful for the things I have, but is it too much to ask for more?  Is it bad to have too much?  Is it bad to want the best?  Don’t we all want the best?  Don’t we all want the best for our children?  I mean isn’t this the reason were in this profession?  For the children, to offer the children the best.  We strive for the quality care, we strive for quality toys, we strive for the best food to offer, we want the best setting, we want to be the best. 






I am, by all means, satisfied with myself, with my program, with my profession, with society.  I hope that when I am done with college I will be able to open a preschool like Honolulu Community College’s Lab preschool-- Keiki Hauoli Children Center.  I chose this profession; I am satisfied with the field that I am in.  Society will forever be changing, and with change hopefully good will come out of it.  Yes I am satisfied, but there is always room for change.  There is always room for more.  There is always room for the better, the best.  I may not always agree to the changes, but even with one change another change will occur. 


I have so many dreams, and as of today I am one day closer.  I am closer to my dreams then I was yesterday, the past two weeks, the past five months, the past two to three years.  My dream of becoming that person that people say, “Hey, you were my teacher, I remember you.”  That kind of stuff, that kind of stuff gets to me, and I think that that is why I like this profession, I want this profession, I strive to better myself in this profession, I love this profession.  To see the impact I have on other people.  Yes I am definitely one day closer as of today.  I learned more and I bettered myself to one day become an excellent teacher.  I hope that I am doing the right things to get to my dream.       

 

“My vision for our programs goes far beyond what is typically discussed in our professional literature.  I have big dreams and am willing to work to achieve them.”






Written:  September 16, 20130

2 comments:

  1. Jadelyn,

    Wow, I really enjoy to read your post. I really like the pictures that you found. Some of them made me laugh but some made me think deeper after reading. I realized that you have very clear goals that you want to reach and you have really powerful energy. I believe that you will reach to your goals and I really encourage you to not to give up no matter what!

    You mentioned that children are risk takers and I often see their eyes are really shinning while they are in this process. When I see those moments, I also get excited. But, when do you think we stop making those actions without hesitation? When do you think we start being afraid of failure? Do you hesitate before you take risks? I do hesitate always and stop them think, think, think... sometimes, I take it but sometimes I do not take it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jadelynn,
    How can risk taking contribute to a vision? What supports are necessary in order to create a space that supports risk taking? You are honest about what scares and thrills you about taking a risk. How might your perspective inform a director creating an early childhood center? If you are thinking about support risk taking as a critical part of vision, what possibilities might you offer to the teachers, children, and families of a center? How might supported risk taking further the inclusion of males in the field as well as a more respected perspective of women in the field? Can supported risk taking be connected to advocacy and activism in terms of the furthering the field of early childhood and disrupting policies and practices that silence educators, children, and families?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete