Wednesday, September 25, 2013

How could outsiders improve us?


How could outsiders [any business outside of Early Childhood] improve us [Early Educators] and help create our framework?


So I was watching Pitch Perfect on the way into school (as I always do) and the part when they sing "since you've been gone" by Kelly Clarkson during the auditions got me thinking.  The cast sang:
Here's the thing we started out friends
It was cool but it was all pretend
yeah yeah 
since you've been gone....
you had your chance you blew it 
out of sight out of mind, 
shut your mouth I just can't take it

Remember:  “OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND”

You never really know until you take a look outside.  Working and collaborating or even just learning about what’s outside of the Early Childhood setting, even the Early Childhood thinking, will bring about new, fresh ideas.  This is NEEDED!  Chapter 2 doesn’t stress it enough how much looking outside the box will help to generate possibilities that were never seen/thought of.  It stresses that with outsiders not only does resources get brought up, but also your mind changes and that is crucial.  Allowing your mind to think in a new way will bring out understanding needed in situations that may just frustrate you.  We NEED these never before seen thoughts; it helps us, it makes us better, it allows us to understand. 



BUT WHY?????



New thoughts -- bring about --> New ideas -- therefore --> New possibilities




When we go through the day with the usual schedule we get sucked into the normal.  I mean the normal is satisfying because it’s predictable.  We like predictable because as we get used to the schedule, we know what we are doing, and therefore we look like professionals in what we’re doing.  






That’s why we need outsiders.
We need to be different; we need to think different.  Thinking different allows us to take on challenges with a new pair of spectacles.  We can see things in different perspectives.  We not only think of the “normal” usual solution but we can think of multiple possibilities, which may or may not work out.  But hey at least you thought of the possibility, and hey at least we have something figured out.  And multiple possibilities is great because if one doesn’t work then there is another one, and if that one ends up failing later on, then you have another possibility you thought of already.              







What are some OUTSIDERS that interest me?
-Circus traveling
-Gardening--being ORGANIC
-Sports I’ve never played--Surfing, paddling, Motor cross, Fighter
-Cosmetology
-Pet caregiver
-Real Estate
-Culinary Arts
-Constructing
-Architect
-Welding
-Gambler

I hope that with an open mind I would be able to keep my vision aligned and keep my framework constantly flowing with possibilities.  How could this go wrong?  



Written: September 24, 2013 at 10:20pm

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jadelynn,
    Great point about outsiders. I agree with having an open mind and using outsiders as a way of developing new ideas and potential solutions. We learn so much from the world around us. There are many resources to tap into and get help or insight when needed. When facing issues and addressing concerns within a program, the triangle framework affords us to approach it appropriately. Is the triangle framework expecting educators to think outside of the box? Does the triangle framework limit our thinking as opposed to being open-minded? We looked at businesses as a solution to being a visionary director. Can this be the only solution? Do we have the resources to continue trying new things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyna!
    Anyway, I agree with you jade that outsiders are very beneficial when running a diverse and rich Early Childhood program. Outsiders provide us with a lot of information as well as a fresh perspective on things. I agree that as teachers, we can get sucked into our normal daily routine because we become comfortable. Sometimes when we become comfortable, we start to turn a blind eye on ways that we can improve our center/program. Referring back to Zena's question, :Can this be the only solution?", I think that answer is no. There is never really only one solution. I think that there are many different solutions, it just depends on which one works for a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jade,

    I never thought about it this way. In my mind, I always had the thoughts of talking to other people in the community for ideas, social networking, but reading your post has made me expand on my thoughts about it. Although you mentioned getting outsiders, are there other people within the field who we could seek for our solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jadelynn,
    Your connections beyond our text really offer all of us new ways to consider all the ideas shared by the authors.

    How does the triangle framework give us a path towards thinking outside the box? How have expected early childhood practices become the limitation to what might be possible? How often is the traditional conception of being a director imagined as strict, powerful, not open, and sometimes even a dictatorship -- and how often is this construct of a director disrupted? When can educators disrupt what is commonplace in order to see otherwise?

    How could a commitment to balance create a space for seeing outside the box for the director, teachers, children, families, local community? How?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete