Specific Blog 12
Bring your vision to life--> page 261
Roberto’s experience to me is my
fear. In wanting to build my own center,
I always fall back onto this scenario, how am I possibly going to get through
accommodating all of the standards and accreditation requirements as well as
create my own way to handle my center.
To me I gained many inspirations from Roberto. He knew from the start that he didn’t agree
with what the center has been implementing.
Instead of falling back on the standards and requirements as a resource
to what he should do, he fell back to he families, the people who he is working
for. He didn’t just change things with
no intention and leaving out people.
Roberto simply took what he knew about children and he engaged families
to see children in his view. He knew
what he was doing, and with everything he did he had something to back him up. In all the challenges that Roberto faced, he
fell back to his families, and their input and then he went to his staff. He did things his way, but kept in mind what
was required of him. He definitely used
his staff as partners to accomplish accreditation.
If I encountered
any of these problems I think I would have to always refer back to my families
and the community that I am serving.
Then I would turn to my staff since they are my right hand, my left hand,
right leg, left leg, and my entire body.
I do want
to finish my bachelors, and maybe even further to a masters or PhD. I want to gain as much knowledge as possible,
along with experience of other Early Childhood sites. I would then want to try and open my own
center. I don’t know where I would get
my funds, I don’t know how I am going to go through with it, and I don’t know
how long until I will actually reach this goal.
But I do know that I want to help people understand children, I want to
help engage people in their children’s life, and I want to be there for
children who deserve a better.
Hi! I would also feel overwhelmed if I ever were to be put in the same situation as Roberto. Although reading about what he did to make great changes was really interesting because like I mentioned as well, he used his community's needs. The best one was when creating a better assessment tool and how he combined his staff and families to pick one out of the bunch that they all agreed on. It seemed so effortless, yet meaningful and to do something like that was easily created. Do you think that we as individuals may think to much when our answers can lie right in front of us? Are we driven too much on our vision that we don't think of our resources right in front of us? One problem I had when I was Manager on duty at Jamba Juice a while back was that I always wanted to do everything on my own. I didn't like designating tasks to others because I simply felt that if I did them, I knew it'd be taken care of. That's one thing that took me a while to adjust to and that's simply, "trusting my co-workers."
ReplyDeleteHi Jadelynn,
ReplyDeleteThere is the connection of community within both of your blog responses. You discuss the power of the how the contributing community can help to develop a vision as well as how the absence of connection to the community can present a possibility for rethinking policy and practice. How can making the relationship between the school and community central to a vision? How might a deep conenction between children/families and the local environment help to develop the daily interactions and activities within a classroom? When relationship with the local community is central to how a director and teacher think about their own interactions with children and families, how might the director, teacher, children, and families become more participatory in their own communities and possibly the global world? Can relationship create an empowering vision for all participating in the school -- including the local community?
Jeanne