How do I work with "adults"?
I think I don't like working with other adults. When I am in class I get irritated at times when I am working with another adult. At work I sometimes think to myself, "huh, why am I working with her today?" I thought that working in the Early Childhood profession I would be working with children, and not adults. I think it's a control issue that I have, I want things my way, and I don't like when other people do things differently. Now, don't get me wrong, I am a team player, but there are just some times that some people get on my nerves. How am I supposed to work with other adults?
I see so many situations when I am at work and even in school, where I think, "how can the teacher deal with that type of people?" I think, "what makes these people think that their actions are okay?" If I was to deal with these situations I would just want to put these people in their place.
BUT...
Then I think I was once in their shoes, what am I talking about. How can I be so "stink" about what these people are going through. I feel so bad now. Who am I to be judging these people? Maybe this is how my mentors felt about me when I got into situations. How in the world did my mentors put up with my failures?
Just as chapter 4 reads, my mentor shared with me my skills, and they also told me what my weaknesses were. She made me reflect constantly, and revisit how I improved to make sure I made sense of why I am doing what I am doing. My mentor wouldn't find a quick fix and solve the problem with only a patch, at times she made me go through my problems again and again so that I would grow and end up finding out what works best for me.
Sometimes I may not enjoy working with people that have opposing opinions, but I noticed that it takes working through the problems with that person in order for that person to grow and also for my own perspectives to change.
Hi! When it comes to working with others, it is difficult especially when you're considered a veteran and new team players come in. I like to consider that these new staff members are coming in with new ideas and eager to learn and be apart of our program. Although I don't work in the ECE field yet, I've been working at the Makakilo Community Park for 6 years now and it's because I enjoy it. I started as a Summer Fun leader and moved on to working year around as well. As a "rookie" in the summer of 2007, I was so afraid of working here because I've never taken care of one child and now I was in charge of taking care of 25 children. It was difficult, but I was fortunate enough to have the help of the veterans at that time. They helped me in ANY way possible and I think if it wasn't for them, I'd be totally lost. Also, I have a really really great director/boss. He was there for ANY questions I had even though I felt some were dumb questions.
ReplyDeleteI feel that it's hard to work with people if they don't have a heart to be open with you or help you. Being able to have the quality not only shows that you care, but that you care about your program as a whole too. I feel that as a teacher, you have to have an open-heart quality for other staff, families and children.
How can we practice to get along with others? When do we take it to the higher level if we don't get along with another staff member? What about the director? Do you think that other staff can help your perspectives on things even though you've been in the ECE field longer?
Hi Jade,
ReplyDeleteI totally know your feelings about getting along with other adults. I sometimes think, "What is wrong with her?" or "Why did she just step over my legs? She could have went around". At times, I find myself placing judgment on other people at work because of the way they choose to handle situations or their actions.
However, I have to take a step back and like you said, put myself in their shoes. It's easier said than done, I know. I have to remember that all people are entitled to their own opinions and actions. I can't control the actions of others, so I need to change the way I look at others. I need to be more tolerant of people.
One way that could be done is by talking to the person I have a problem with. Communication is the key. When you communicate with people, it often provides you with insight on their feelings and their thoughts.
How can you use your self reflections to make working with adults easier? How hard is it for you to let go of "control? How long do you wait until you confront an adult about your concerns?
Hi Jadelyn,
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to have different perspectives on working with children and working with adults? You share how you should work with children in the same manner that you work with adults. I wonder first what guides your work with children. Do you trust children? Do you listen to children? Do you view children as capable? How might you describe your view of children?
If trust, listening, and capability are what drive your work with children, how can this become how you structure your work with adults?
What role does relationship play in working with both adults and children? Can the development of deep relationships become how both children and colleagues/staff are considered and developed?
Can the false expectation of directing as only rules and regulations interfere with relationship building with both children and colleagues/staff? How can a disruption in the typical director description create a program where director, staff, and children are viewed as capable and empowered? What policies and practices could support this view?
Jeanne
Hey Jadelynn,
ReplyDeleteReflection is a crucial process towards identifying personal ethics and what you are willing to tolerate and/or accept. When do you think this reflection pays off in the day to day responsibilities of a director? Acknowledging the importance of understanding a variety of perspectives and opinions how will this affect the way in which you support and coach your staff? The realization of weaknesses can be complex, what have you learned from that process that you could use in the future when discussing concerns with staff? Your mentor seemed like he/she significantly through a few difficult situations, reflecting on those moments, what was the tone of voice? What made you feel comfortable enough to take their advice? How can you apply those same characteristics later as a coach for your staff?
Hi Jadelynn,
ReplyDeleteI understand your frustration about working with others, or having interactions with people who you don't share the same the same opinion with, etc. But the thing is, children come from a family... they need a caregiver, thus it is our responsibility to interact with these important people in children's lives. I know that in my career as an EC educator I will come across people who I do not agree with, but I feel that as long as I keep in mind what is best for the child, even if it means my way is not the best way- things will be fine. Because at the end of the day, parents usually want what is best for their child as well. How would you handle a situation as a teacher or director if the parent really did "hit your buttons," and was not looking out for the best interest of their child? Would you try to understand every parents situation and try to help them solve their problems personally, almost like a counselor?