These are just a few professions that I have listed. I don’t know much about them, but these are
some skills and qualities that I think these professions may need to know, this
is the best to my knowledge.
Firefighter
-Have knowledge about fires
-Have strength to carry and hold people and objects
-Climb
-Cooperation skills
I may need to know about fires if ever I get into a
situation where a fire is set in my center.
I may need to have the strength to carry children if ever they are
hurt. I would need cooperation skills to
work with other people and come to agreements about concerns in my center.
Mechanic
-Have knowledge about transportation vehicles
-Have knowledge about parts of a vehicle
-Skills to manipulate tools
-Strength to carry
Being a mechanic has nothing to do with this profession, but
I may need to have knowledge about certain transportations if ever I create a
curriculum on transportation.
Janitor/custodian
-Knowledge of the products they are using
-Knowledge of their surroundings
-Skills to manipulate the tools they use
-Handy abilities (able to fix things)
I may need janitorial skills to care for my centers. I may have opportunities where I teach
children responsibility and care for our center. I may have spur of the moment situations when
I need to clean quickly and be familiar with cleaning products.
Police
-Be able to go through obstacles
-Skills to manipulate weapons
-People skills (Communicating and working with people)
-Skills to observe danger
I may need to be the mediator like police are during some
situations. I would definitely need
people skills, since children and families surround me. I would need to observe danger since everyday
there are risks.
Realtor
-People Skills
-Have knowledge about homes
-Have knowledge about the area of the home
-Debating and persuading skills
One day I may want a place to create my center at. I may have situations where I would debate
and persuade parents as well as children.
Fisherman
-Have knowledge of fish
-Have knowledge about boats
-Have knowledge of catching fish
-Skills to manipulate fishing tools
-Skills to operate a boat
-Have knowledge of fishing seasons
We’re surrounded by ocean; I may have an opportunity to
create a curriculum around fish. I may
create a dramatic play going to the beach, and I would need to know about fish
and boats.
Tattoo artist
-Have knowledge about skin
-Skill to manipulate a tattoo device
-Skill to create art
-Drawing abilities
Tattoo artists have nothing to do with childcare, but I love
art, and I may have opportunities to create a curriculum around art. Certain tattoo artists create certain art
that may contribute to my activities. I
may want certain art hung in my center.
Baker
-Have knowledge about food
-Skills to manipulate cooking utensils and tools
-Skills to mix and match foods
-Have knowledge of food tastes
-Have knowledge of food capabilities
I may need to know about food especially if I am serving my
children food. I would need to create
nutritious meals that are fun and tasty.
I may need to know how to combine foods so that they go together and so
that children would enjoy it.
Wow! These different
professions may not have similar outwards appearances as Early Childhood
Education, but what is asked of these profession definitely have some type of
similar aspect. As I thought of these
professions, I only assumed these are the skills and qualities needed; there
may be many more skills and qualities that are asked of these professions that
coincide with what an early childhood educator may need to know.
I know that there are many more
professions out there, and these are just a few that I listed. I wonder if the effects of professions skills
and qualities depends on culture and the type of society you live in? It would be amazing to see how different cultures
and societies perform different professions.
Are there easier ways of acquiring knowledge, skills, and qualities of a
profession, other then going to school and learning for years to master, in
order to be familiar in using them with the children and families. Will other professions be willing to help out
the Early Childhood profession in gaining outside knowledge, skills, and
qualities? What am I supposed to do to
get help from people outside our profession?
My goals
I want to find and explore at least 12 professions around my
community within the next year.
I want to join a club
I want to try something out of my element by the end of 2013
I want to meet 3 new people by the end of 2013
I want to explore a place I have never been, even if it is
on this island, by the end of 2013
I want to create a party or meal and just invite random
people that I know, possibly by next year.
* I set dates for my goals because
I want to make my goals realistic by placing it on a time line, by doing this
hopefully I get it done.
By accomplishing these goals I hope to not only build my own
community but also expand it, and share with my community the importance of my
profession.
Hi Jadelynn,
ReplyDeleteIf you consider teacher and director, what characteristics do think they have? Are characteristics always concrete or are there abstract elements of these professions? For example, empathy, creativity, critical thought. How might you rethink the list of the characteristics you have shared about the professions in your blog from an abstract perspective? Are there ways in which if we look across discipines, we may have a variety of ways to think about concepts? For example, is creativity the same for a tattoo artist and a fisherman? How might both views on creativity inform your own conception of creativity as a director? a teacher? a parent?
I am also wondering about the view of the infant and the preschooler. You seem to make a distinction between both through the notion of structure. I wonder how you are defining the view of children and your reasoning for these views. Are you viewing children as capable? What are the reasons for how you might view structure or decision-making within a infant or preschool classroom?
If you chose to view children and families as capable, what might this mean for how you create your space as a director? What policies or practices would be paramount?
Have you read the book Bambini (http://www.amazon.com/Bambini-Italian-Approach-Childhood-Education/dp/080774008X)? This is one of my favorite books.
Jeanne