Thursday, October 17, 2013

Rethink Daily Routines


Rethink Daily Routines

OH MY GOSH!!! I did this with my daughter.  Well, even though she is in an infant daycare and it’s more accustom for the teachers to receive babies in their PJs still, I somewhat experienced this situation.
 
Just for a side note:  
Infant routines are different then preschool, meaning that when an infant is sleepy its time to sleep and when an infant is hungry its time to eat compared to a preschool setting where there is a more structured routine. 
Also an infant care maybe smaller then a preschool due to the amount of teachers present, the teacher child ratio is different. 

I would almost always bring my child in her PJs, her teacher would receive her and place her in a crib, and if I had time the teacher would talk to me for a few minutes and ask me about my child and how her night as well as her morning was like.  This conversation helped the teacher gain information so that if there were any incidents then she may have a possible explanation for it, but for me as a parent sharing this information let me know that I am now passing my child to someone who actually takes interest in her. 
For me as a parent I would not let me child go to anyone that I don’t know.  I think that not only do children have a hard time separating from their parents, but also the parents have a difficult time separating from their treasures, their child.   
Just the other day my baby said goodbye to me and she went off playing with her friends, but I just couldn’t go.  So the teacher called my daughter to me so that they can sing the goodbye song, which was for me to separate not for my child to separate for me.  I mean it’s so hard, and I just would rather play with my daughter rather then go to school and work. 

As I think about this strategy I think that separating and reconnecting is such a huge aspect of a routine.  I know of some parents who just drop their child off, sign them in, say goodbye, and then leave.  Then there are parents like me who just doesn’t want to leave.  There are children who come in dressed for school and ready to play, while there are some children who are still tiered.  I know that we learned to listen to the cues of the children, we learned to listen to the family’s instructions, we learned to create a routine, but how are we supposed to accommodate these aspects throughout our day?  How do we create our environment to accommodate these different needs, along with providing learning centers? 

I want to try and incorporate the suggestions the “strategy” considers implementing in my center.
·      Create consistent rituals for the beginning and ending of the day that families can participate in
·      Design a cozy corner for families to read and cuddle
·      Provide a dressing area for parents to help children change out of their pajamas and get clothes on or hair brushed
·      Include families in shared snacks or meals. 

I see the importance of routines and including families within them; I especially see this with my own daughter.  I don’t think I would have a difficulty gaining support from families considering that we live in a culture that values family and community.   



No comments:

Post a Comment