Compare the Approach of These Two Directors:
Becky
Becky seemed to have goals that reflect meeting program
requirements. Becky focused on
deadlines, and meeting each requirement of the staff.
Becky seems to be using a managing approach, she’s making
sure that all of the T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted.
Becky’s approach seems to undermine reflective practices and
teacher disposition needed for a caring, learning community. Juanita seemed frightened to say her opinions
since Becky was only concerned about the paperwork, getting it in on time, and
by following through with what was created.
Becky did praise Juanita, but she wasn’t inviting when it came to
sharing ideas or concerns about any aspect of the paperwork, classroom,
children, or community.
Yolanda
Yolanda seemed to have goals that support her staff in
collaboration with program requirements.
Though Yolanda knew what the program requirements were she still took
into consideration each personality, and each input of ideas.
Yolanda seems to be using a coaching and mentoring approach,
she’s listens to each persons idea, she adds in the program requirements, and
in the end she accommodates her staff best as possible.
Yolanda’s approach
seems to encourage reflective practice and teacher disposition needed for a
caring learning community. Yolanda asked
questions to enlighten the teacher’s thoughts.
She allowed her staff to talk openly and share experiences with the
children. Yolanda did mention paperwork,
but she allowed her staff to do what was comfortable for them, and she was also
willing to advocate for them.
There is a huge difference in these two types of directing approaches;
I wonder how a director would look like using all three approaches from the
triangle?
Though going according to the
rules and regulations seems to be most evident when directing, I hope that I can
be a team player and collaborate with my staff in order to create a rich
center.
How do I keep this in mind?
How do I remember to fall back on these
practices of coaching, mentoring, and reflecting?
“the way that I teach the children, is the way that I should
teach my staff.”
Hi! Your thoughts on each director is very similar to mine. I do agree in wondering as well on how a director would look using all three approaches of the triangle. I feel like you have to be open-minded, yet stern in all your suggestions. I think that the biggest quality to have when practicing coaching and mentoring and then reflecting is to do exactly what your quote states. I feel that it's very true that we should teach our staff the way we would teach the children. We should never criticize staff members, nor treat them differently as do with children. Adults, especially a director, needs to understand that just like children we have certain capabilities. We as teachers have certain strengths and weaknesses that even probably 10 years from now, we'd still have. It is up to us to consider the feedback from others and then to account for it in the long run. How can we consider such changes if our director doesn't give meaningful feedback? When do we share how we feel if we have a director like Becky? Do we ask other teachers how they feel first?
ReplyDeleteBeing a director and properly balancing each side of the framework triangle can be difficult. The roles between mentor and supervisor differ and the director needs to be flexible enough to bounce between the two. Being a director it may be important to create margins for ourselves to determine which side of the triangle framework to start from? How can you as a director create an environment that encourages the free flow of ideas and expression? As a director how do you go about containing and organizing those ideas so that everyone’s input is acknowledged and heard?
ReplyDeleteJadelynn,
ReplyDeleteWe are all different, but I was wondering what is making those two directors so different. Do you think Becky need to be more flexible to hear others' opinion? You mentioned that she was not inviting and I felt the same way (Becky was more concerned about deadlines and paper work and not the human nature about being a director so you mentioned that Juanita “seemed frightened to say her opinions.”) but what do you think Becky can do to make herself change? Or does she need to change? Do you think she never felt she is actually being too strict on herself too? As a staff member, is there anything that Juanita can do to get courage to talk to Becky about her approach?
Miwa ;)